He united the many nomadic tribes of northeast Asia, subjugated huge chunks of Central Asia, Rus, Europe, the Middle East and China, and created the Mongol empire which became the largest contiguous empire in history. Yet the fearsome Chinggis Khaan’s origins are surprisingly humble. As written in The Secret History of the Mongols, it is now generally accepted that he was born at the junction of the Onon and Balj Gols in Dadal sum, near the town of the same name (though his date of birth is still subject to great conjecture).
Dadal is a gorgeous area of lakes, rivers, forests and log huts. Besides the few sights associated with the Great Khaan there’s good hiking to be had around Dadal, and the village itself is a cheerful place of wide dirt streets, cute log cabins and a few tsainii gazar.
if you approach Dadal from the south, via Norovin, a gleaming white gate, flanked with steles and statues of Mongol warriors, welcomes you in.
The 415,752-hectare Onon-Balj National Park, extending north from the village towards Russia, offers enticing camping spots, fishing holes and chances for spotting wildlife. Buy your national park ticket (T3000) at the WWF office.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Chinggis khaan International airport, Ulaanbaatar|
|WEAR||Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking boots, hat, jacket and sunscreen.|
- pick-up Chinggis khaan airport
- Place in the Hotel
- Traveled in the Ulaanbaatar city.
- As a socio-economic, political and cultural center of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar welcomes you with various destinations and attractions.
- Either you are visiting Ulaanbaatar (its different spelling), for business or pleasure, you should definitely have sometime out exploring its history, arts, and natural museums that can give you ample understanding about not only the country itself, but its connections, roles and influences in the region and the whole world, in a broader sense.
- We make sure to take you to the most popular museums and other highlighting spots in UB during this tour.
The Genghis Khan Equestrian Statue, part of the Genghis Khan Statue Complex is a 40 metres (130 ft) tall statue of Genghis Khan on horseback, on the bank of the Tuul River at Tsonjin Boldog (54 km (33.55 mi) east of the Mongolian capital Ulaanbaatar), where according to legend, he found a golden whip. The statue is symbolically pointed east towards his birthplace. It is on top of the Genghis Khan Statue Complex, a visitor centre, itself 10 metres (33 ft) tall, with 36 columns representing the 36 khans from Genghis to Ligdan Khan. It was designed by sculptor D. Erdenebileg and architect J. Enkhjargal and erected in 2008.
Visitors walk to the head of the horse through its chest and neck, where they have a panoramic view. The main statue area will be surrounded by 200 ger (yurts), designed and arranged like the pattern of the horse brand marks that were used by the 13th century Mongol tribes. The cost of the complex is reported to be US$4.1 million, spent by The Genco Tour Bureau, a Mongolian company.
The attached museum has exhibitions relating to the Bronze Age and Xiongnu archaeological cultures in Mongolia, which show everyday utensils, belt buckles, knives, sacred animals, etc. and a second exhibition on the Great Khan period in the 13 and 14th centuries which has ancient tools, goldsmith subjects and some Nestorian crosses and rosaries. Adjacent to the museum is a tourist and recreation center, which covers 212 hectares (520 acres).
Khar zurkhnii khukh nuur /Khukh Lake-Blue lake/
The full name of the lake is the Blue Lake of Black Heart. Black Heart is the pointed topped mountain on the north side of the lake. Blue Lake is a very important place in Mongolian history particularly of Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan). Here Temuujin (Chinggis Khaan’s childhood name) was given the title, “Chinggis Khaan”, and was invested as a “The Great Khaan of all Mongolia” in 1189. The stone ruins of a ger with a diameter of 15 meters on the south side of this lake could be the ruins of the palace ger where Chinggis Khaan was proclaimed khaan. There are also wooden statues in the forest dedicated to Chingis Khaan and the next 32 khaans of Mongolia. The surrounding area of Khukh Nuur is quiet, peaceful and wonderful for hiking & relaxation.
Baldan bereeven khiid
Monastery grounds and location
Baldan Bereeven is the Mongolian translation of the Tibetan “Drepung (Tibetan: འབྲས་སྤུངས་)”, “pile of rice”, and the monastery was initially modeled after Drepung Monasteries in Tibet and India. Although the original temple complex was demolished during the Stalinist purges of the late 1930s, today three temples have been restored and grounds include the remains of nearly 50 temples, stupas and other religious edifices.
The monastery grounds are surrounded by scenic and sacred mountains including Munkh Ulziit, Arvan Gurvan Sansar, Bayan Baraat, and Bayan Khangai, all part of the Khentii mountain range. The four mountains are said to resemble animals: a lion on the east; a dragon on the south; a tiger on the west; and a Garuda on the north. The monastery itself is backed by the steep cliff of Munkh Ulziit mountain where many cliff carvings, stone carvings with different images of Buddhist gods, inscriptions of religious mantras, and a large Soyombo symbol can be found.
Baldan Bereeven Monastery was founded in 1654 by the lama Tsevendorj with an initial monastic community of around 1500 lamas. According to tradition, Tsevendorj had studied with Zanabazar, the First Bogd Gegeen of Mongolia, in Tibet. Tsevendorj endeavored to create a site similar to Lumbini, the birthplace of the Buddha, in Mongolia to accommodate Mongolian pilgrims who could not travel far. The main temple, called Dash Tsepel Ling, was built in the mid 1700s and was completed in 1776. The Tsogchin Dugan (great hall) Temple was completed in 1813. Architecturally resembling the famous Utai Gumbun monastery in Tibet. The Tsogchin Dugan was one of the largest buildings in all of Mongolia measuring almost 30 meters by 30 meters and almost 12 meters tall.
By 1850 when its main temple was remodeled, Baldan Bereeven reached its peak as a teaching monastery. It contained four separate colleges and more than twenty temples with a monastic population reaching nearly 8000. Around the year 1900 an epidemic wiped out half of the monastic community leaving between 2000-3000 monks.
The monastery’s fortunes suffered further with the establishment of Mongolia’s communist regime in 1921. Many monks were driven from the monastery when large scale persecution of the Buddhist church began in the 1930s. The government expropriated church property, legislated away the church’s independence, and levied high taxes on monasteries. Finally, the monastery was completely razed during Stalinist purges under Mongolia’s strongman Khorloogiin Choibalsan in 1937. Many of the remaining monks were forcibly removed, shot, and buried in mass graves while others were forcibly laicized and sent to labor camps. Younger monks were returned to their families. The monastery’s precious relics were melted down and delivered to the Soviet Union for use during World War II.
Baldan Bereeven remained off-limits for nearly six decades. Following the democratic revolution in 1990 a handful of older monks who were removed from Baldan Bereevan as young boys in the 1930s returned to the monastery. Restoration efforts for several of the monasteries main temples began soon after.
Tomb of Genghis Khan
The location of the tomb of Genghis Khan (died April 18th, 1227) has been the object of much speculation and research. The site remains undiscovered.
Genghis Khan asked to be buried without markings or any sign. He asked to be buried with his six cats while they were alive so their purrs can guide him to the afterlife to the land under the big blue sky.[full citation needed] After he died, his body was returned to Mongolia and presumably to his birthplace in the Khentii Aimag, where many assume he is buried somewhere close to the Onon River. According to one legend, the funeral escort killed anyone and anything that crossed their path, in order to conceal where he was finally buried. After the tomb was completed, the slaves who built it were massacred, and then the soldiers who killed them were also killed. The Genghis Khan Mausoleum is his memorial, but not his burial site. Folklore says that a river was diverted over his grave to make it impossible to find (echoing the manner of burial of the Sumerian King Gilgamesh of Uruk or of the Visigoth leader Alaric). Other tales state that his grave was stampeded over by many horses, that trees were then planted over the site, and the permafrost also played its part in the hiding of the burial site. The Erdeni Tobchi (1662) claims that Genghis Khan’s coffin may have been empty when it arrived in Mongolia. Similarly, the Altan Tobchi (1604) maintains that only his shirt, tent and boots were buried in the Ordos (Ratchnevsky, p. 143f.). Turnbull (2003, p. 24) tells another legend in which the grave was re-discovered 30 years after Genghis Khan’s death. According to this tale, a young camel was buried with the Khan, and the camel’s mother was later found weeping at the grave of its young.
Marco Polo wrote that, even by the late 13th century, the Mongols did not know the location of the tomb. The Secret History of the Mongols has the year of Genghis Khan’s death but no information concerning his burial. In the “Travels of Marco Polo” he writes that “It has been an invariable custom, that all the grand khans, and chiefs of the race of Genghis-khan, should be carried for interment to a certain lofty mountain named Altaï, and in whatever place they may happen to die, although it should be at the distance of a hundred days’ journey, they are nevertheless conveyed thither.”
Marco Polo writes of Genghis-khan’s death:
But at the end of those six years he went against a certain castle that was called CAAJU, and there he was shot with an arrow in the knee, so that he died. A great pity it was, for he was a valiant man and very wise.
Other sources name the area of the Burkhan Khaldun mountain as his burial site (roughly ). The area near the Burkhan Khaldun was called the Ikh Khorig, or Great Taboo. This 240 square-kilometre area was sealed off by the Mongols, with trespassing being punishable by death. Only within the last 20 years has the area been open to western archaeologists.
Kherlen Khuduu aral
This 30km long, 20km wide steppe is situated 1300m above sea level south from Mount Kherlenbayan Ulaan and west from Mount Kherlen Toono in Khentii Aimag. This is a historically important place where Ikh Khuraldai used to take place and Ugudei, Munkh, Yesuntumur khans were enthroned as a king. There are several lakes including Lake Khuduu, Lake Toson, Lake Zamag and Lake Tsagaan. 7 small hills (Durvuljin, Suul, Ikh Ulaan Tolgoy, Baga Ulaan Tolgoy, Olon Ovoo and Takhilgat Gatsaa) are situated on a sunny side of Mount Kherlenbayan. Scientists believe that the place called Doloon Boldog in The Secret History of Mongols refers to these 7 small hills.
In 1990, a 4m high Genghis khan’s monument was built celebrating 750th years’ completion anniversary of the “Secret History of Mongols”. Standing Genghis khan was depicted on a face of the monument and an ending note in the “Secret History of Mongols” was inscribed on the west side. On the east and north side cavalrymen along with tribes’ seal imprints of that time were carved. South from this monument there are some historical sights such as the Aurag city ruin in Rashaan Dersny Ukhaa and the Aurag spring. “Khuduu Aral” tourist camp is located 11km north from the monument. Mount Toono, where Galdanboshigt had been fighting against the Manchu, can be seen from southeast of Khuduu Aral. Mount Kherlenbayan Ulaan is situated on northwest of it. Thus, Khuduu Aral was the safest place protected on all 4 sides being surrounded by Mount Kherlenbayan Ulaan, Mount Toono, River Kherlen and River Sengur.